Sun City Flag Football League
In adopting official football rules for use in Flag Football, the object has been to keep as close to the original rules as
possible and at the same time eliminate the dangers of body contact. Flag Football games will be conducted under a combination
of the Texas Flag Football Association Rules (TFFA) and Texas Amateur Athletic Federation Rules (TAAF). The following rules
are in addition to flag football rules already used by SCFFL…
• Game consists of two 14 minute halves. Teams will flip sides at the beginning of the 2nd half.
• No Blocking, Screening or Contact allowed.
• Coin toss determines first possession; team that loses the coin toss will have choice of which goal to defend. Team
that starts the 1st half on offense will start the 2nd half on defense.
• The offensive team takes possession on the 5 yard line and has 3 plays to cross the midfield. Once the team crosses
the midfield they will have 3 plays to score a TD. If the offensive team fails to get a TD or a 1st down, the defense takes
possession of the ball and the new offensive team takes over on their own 5 yard line.
• All possession changes (except interceptions) start on the offense’s 5 yard line.
• Each time the ball is spotted a team has 25 seconds to snap the ball.
• Each team will receive 1 Time-Out (30 seconds) per half.
• Running clock; except injuries or time outs. Clock will stop in the last minute of the game for: Out of Bounds, Incomplete
Passes, change of possession or a TD and the extra point. Clock is re-started at the snap of the ball.
• TD=6 points, Extra point=1 (5 yards out); 2 (12 yards out), Safety=2 points
• Interceptions on the Extra Point Attempt can be returned by the Defense for 2 Points.
• The QB cannot run the ball, unless he has taken a hand-off.
• Only direct hand-offs behind the line of scrimmage are legal; all hand-offs must be behind the player handing-off.
No laterals or pitches of any kind, offense may use multiple hand-offs.
• The player who takes hand-off can throw the ball as long as he is behind the line of scrimmage.
• Once the ball is handed off, all defensive players are eligible to rush and the 7 second pass rule is ignored.
• “No Running Zones” are located 5 yards before the end zones to avoid power running situations.
• “No Running Zones” come into effect only when the offense is approaching the end zone.
• The ball is spotted where the ball carrier’s belt is when the flags are pulled, not where the ball is. Ball
and Flag Belt must break the plane for a 1st Down or a TD.
• Spinning is allowed but offensive players cannot leave their feet to avoid a defensive player; diving is not allowed.
• All passes must be forward and received beyond the line of scrimmage.
• Shovel passes are allowed but must be received beyond the line of scrimmage.
• QB has a 7 second “pass clock”. If pass is not thrown within the 7 seconds the play is ruled dead, ball
returns to the line of scrimmage. If the ball is handed off the 7 second clock is no longer in effect.
• All players are eligible to receive passes including the QB if the ball has been handed off behind the line of scrimmage.
• Only 1 player is allowed to be in motion at a time.
• Player must have at least 1 foot inbounds when making a catch.
Rushing the QB:
• All players that rush the QB must be a minimum of 7 yards from the line of scrimmage when the ball is snapped. Any
number of players can rush the QB.
• Players not rushing the QB may defend on the line of scrimmage.
• Once the ball is handed off the 7 yard rule is no longer in effect and all defenders are eligible to rush.
• Defenders crossing the line of scrimmage inside the 7 yard mark must wait until the ball is handed off.
• The referee will designate where the 7 yard mark is located.
• If score is tied at the end of regulation, teams move directly into overtime.
• Coin toss determines possession.
• Each team receives one play from the midfield going in the same direction. All penalty rules apply in overtime.
• The team gaining the most yardage on the one play is declared the winner and awarded 1 additional point.
• Interceptions will end series.
Penalties: Teams still have the option to decline penalties…
• Offense: 10 Yards from Line Of Scrimmage and Loss Of Down; Illegal Snap, Illegal Motion, False Start, Impeding Rusher,
Blocking Down Field, Illegal Pick, Flag Guarding, Lowering Head/Shoulder, Pass Interference, Illegal Forward Pass, Illegal
Hand-Off/Pitch, Illegal Run, Delay of Game
• Defense: 10 Yards from Line Of Scrimmage and Automatic First Down; Off-Sides, Illegal Rush, Illegal Contact, Holding,
Illegal De-Flagging, Pass Interference, Roughing The QB, Delay of Game, Illegal Push.
The playing field is 50 yards long from goal line to goal line with two end zones of 7 yards; field will be 25 yards wide.
On occasion, the playing field will not be to the exact specifications mentioned above. Field size or condition will not
warrant a refund of entry fee under any circumstances.
Players & Player Eligibility:
• The regular playing roster shall consist of no more than 8 players. Deadline for the Team Roster is the first scheduled
• After the 3rd and before the 4th scheduled game, a team has the right to add or drop two additional players to the
Team Roster provided that such does not exceed the 8-player limit.
• The above shall be in writing and submitted before the 4th scheduled game.
• Players on Rosters must play at least half of the Regular Season to be eligible to play in the Playoffs.
• All players must be 18 years of age by start date of league play, otherwise written parental or guardian permission
• ID’s can be checked at the request of an opponent’s team captain or manager during any SCFFL scheduled
game. Failure to produce a valid ID may result in the forfeit of game and playing privileges.
• Teams must field a minimum of 3 players at all times.
Conduct of Coaches, Players and Spectators:
• Un-Sportsman-Like conduct (disrespectfully addressing or contacting the referees or players or using profanity) directed
at any league official, referee, player or coach/manager will not be tolerated. This includes before games, during regular
play or during time-outs and after game ends.
• First offense will result in Ejection from the game and or action to be determined by SCFFL Commissioner.
• Second offense will result in Automatic Suspension from the league for the remainder of the season, to include playoffs.
• Physical Attacks/Violence on referees, players, coaches/managers or other league officials during or after a game
will result in Immediate Suspension from the league for the remainder of season to include playoffs and the complete following
season (includes playoffs) as well. If necessary The El Paso Police Department will be notified and charges will be filed
against individuals involved.
• Any ejected player or coach/manager has 3 minutes to leave the playing field and park or his team will forfeit game.
• All suspensions or actions are subject to final decision by SCFFL Commissioner.
If a team forfeits 2 games by not showing up without prior notice (1 week), that team will be dropped from the league without
a refund of the entry fee. If a team needs to re-schedule their game, a 1 week notice is required. If notice is not given
in time that team is responsible for the referee fees for that game, for both teams ($20.00).
Teams that don’t pay their forfeit fees will be reported as such to the proper authorities and Credit Bureaus.
Games will not be cancelled due to inclement or “bad” weather, unless there is lightning in the immediate playing
area or EPPARD Officials call off games.
Rules Changes or Additions:
• Any player that has consumed alcohol or other types of drugs or medications that will affect player performance prior
to a game will not be allowed to play, No Exceptions.
• In the event that a team qualifies for the playoffs but cannot play the scheduled games then the next team in the
standings in their division will take over that spot for the remainder of the playoffs.
• Standings in each division will be determined by; 1.Win-Loss Record 2.Head to Head games played 3. Total Net Points.
• Teams paying with a company or personal check will be charged an additional $50.00 Returned Check Fee if the check
is returned unpaid. Failure to pay this fee will result in immediate removal from the league and reporting to proper authorities
(Police Department, Credit Bureau).
• If an offensive player’s flag falls off during the course of the play, the play will be ruled dead at that spot.
• Game will be called if one team is ahead of the other by 17 points or more in the final minute of the game (17 Point
If you have any questions or concerns, you can contact Mario @ 227-9947 or 231-9442 or e-mail: email@example.com